Pages

Sculpture


When selecting materials for installations and sculpture, I start with an object found in everyday life, such as food packaging, a drawer, or a table leg.  An ironing board becomes a body, chairs become dancers.  Recently I have been working on small scale sculptures that resemble white box theatres.  Pins, jewellery, netting, paper, coins, share the same world with small clay pieces that I shape, carve and paint.  As with my approach to collage, I am interested in discovering what the materials have to offer, and how they interact with my painted and sculpted pieces, to create a puzzle.


 Ellipsis, 7 x 7 x 3.5 in, mixed media, 2017



This recent sculpture is one of my smallest.  It is a memory piece about my Grandfather, created from the things he held onto for decades, tucked away in drawers.  There were lots of tiny objects to choose from, and I picked the ones that relate to cinema, as he loved films.  This small stage is entitled "Ellipsis" referring to periods of time that have been left out of a narrative.